In 2013, the NC Alliance of YMCAs received Robert Wood Johnson Foundation funding through the YMCA of the USA to launch North Carolina’s Statewide Pioneering Healthier Communities (NCSPHC) project. This two-year project sought to reduce the incidence of childhood obesity through statewide policy, systems and environmental change, and supported the state’s Eat Smart, Move More North Carolina movement.
The Statewide Pioneering Healthier Communities Action Plan focused on these four priorities:
- Healthy food financing and corner store intitiaves in underserved and/or food desert communities
- Funding for independent bicycle and pedestrian infrastructure projects and Complete Streets
- Full implementation of the Y’s Healthy Eating and Physical Activity (HEPA) Standards for early childhood, afterschool and youth sports programs
- Encourage youth sports leagues and schools to adopt policies that support healthy food for pre- and post-game meals, snacks, fundraising and concessions.
We are proud to report that in partnership with many of our team members, we successfully advocated for:
$250,000 allocated in the 2016 state budget for a healthy corner store initiative. This work continues as we seek to obtain $1 million for this important effort.
The Healthy-Out-of-School Time Recognition Program, a voluntary recognition program for any out-of-school-time provider who meets the NIOST HEPA Standards.
- Amended state statute to allow School Playgrounds to be available to the Public. We proudly purchased signage for the Alamance-Burlington School District when they passed their school board policy opening their elementary schools to public use in the summer of 2016.
Healthier Communities: Youth Sports
The Statewide Pioneering Healthier Communities Network Coalition convened 21 stakeholder organizations from across North Carolina to agree upon a position statement that all organizations could endorse to make healthy food and drinks available at all youth sports functions – at practices and games, in concession stands and for fundraising. To add your organization’s name to the list of endorsers, contact us to get a MS Word version of the Position Statement that you can edit to add your organization’s name and logo. Once your governing body has endorsed the statement, send us an email, and we will add your organization to the list of endorsers.
This statement has been endorsed by the following organizations in North Carolina:
Healthy Sports Snack Toolkit
The NC Alliance of YMCAs created this toolkit to assist YMCAs, and other organizations, in implementing healthy snacking practices in youth sports programs. The goal is to provide resources that will develop positive and sustainable culture change throughout organizations across the state. The resources included in this toolkit may be modified, edited, or adapted to fit the needs of the organization, as long as they fall within the suggested guidelines set forth by the Alliance for a Healthier Generation. Using this toolkit is simple and easy:
Stand. Take a stance on healthy sports snacking. Select. Choose and use the resources that are most helpful for you. Adapt if needed. Score. Help your athletes score more by encouraging healthy sports snacking!
Generic Healthy Sports Snack Toolkit (for organizations other than the YMCA)
YMCA Healthy Sports Snack Toolkit (entire document)
Artwork for Social Media